Boy Scouts of America Old Hickory Council Records, 1912-2001.
Creator: Boy Scouts of America Old Hickory Council.
Collection number: 4688
View finding aid.
Abstract: The Old Hickory Council of the Boy Scouts of America grew from a single troop organized at Fairview Moravian Church in Winston-Salem, N.C., in 1911. The council operated Camp Raven Knob beginning in the 1950s. Records, beginning in 1917, of the Old Hickory Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Included are letters, meeting minutes, reports, financial materials, clippings, training materials, membership lists, photographs, newsletters, pamphlets, and other items. Documentation is uneven; for some years, there are many informative letters, reports, and other materials, while other years are represented by only a few relatively minor items.Some items relate to scouting activities during World War I and World War II; many items document the planning and operation of camping sites, especially, beginning in the 1950s, Camp Raven Knob. Also included are photocopies of two 1964 documents relating to integration of the Council’s troops; a videotape version of a 1955 film about Camp Raven Knob; and two audiotaped interviews, 1976 and 1982, with scout leaders;two photographs of African-American scouts associated with Mount Zion Baptist Church, Winston-Salem, N.C., 1944-1950s; and a CD of photographs entitled “Wahissa and CRK Images Vol. 1, 1500+ Photos,” 1970s-1990s.
Repository: Southern Historical Collection
Collection Highlights: Included are papers relating to integration of the troop (1964). Includes two photographs of African American boy scouts associated with Mount Zion Baptist Church, Winston Salem, 1944-1950s.
In Series 1 (General Files), there are photocopies of two documents in 1964 relating to the Committee on Integration, showing the current racial makeup of Old Hickory Council divisions and Various Degrees of Integration for Consideration, as well as documents pertaining to white flight in eastern Winston-Salem (See Folders 57-58).
In 1965, there is a memo dated September 15th by district executive Walter Wilson concerning the need to organize new groups of scouts in an area into which blacks had started to move (See Folder 59).
In 1969, the executive board meeting minutes of June discuss restating in detail its racial nondiscrimination policy (See Folders 65-66).
There is a taped interview from around 1976 with Stanley A. Harris, who was the first Director of Inter-Racial Scouting and worked to develop African-American scout troops in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. (See Series 3, Tape T-4688/1),
Also included are two photographs of African American boy scouts associated with Mount Zion Baptist Church in Winston Salem, N.C., circa 1944-1950s. (See Images Folders P-4688/18 and 19.)