Creator: Shaw, G. C. (George Clayton), 1863-1936.
Collection number: 3938
View finding aid.
Abstract: G.C. Shaw was pastor of Timothy Darling Presbyterian Church, Oxford, N.C., and founder and president of Mary Potter School, a secondary school for African Americans in Oxford. Two manuscripts, one photograph, and five pamphlets, all on microfilm. One manuscript (14 pp.) is “1888-1932: A Glance Backward–A Present Meditation–A Forward Look” by G.C. Shaw about his work in Granville County, N.C., beginning in 1888. In it, there is much discussion of the Mary Potter School. The other manuscript (13 pp.), written by Mary E. L. Shaw around 1938, is an account of the beginnings of the Mary Potter School. The undated photograph is of G.C. Shaw. Also included are an undated pamphlet, ca. 1921, written by G.C. Shaw about the Mary Potter School; an undated leaflet, ca. 1926, listing the courses, fees, and other information about the Mary Potter School; a 1923 article about the Mary Potter School from the “Africo-American Presbyterian” of Charlotte, N.C.; a 1936 article by Mrs. E.N. Dent about the missionary work of the Presbyterian Church in Louisburg, N.C., including mention of the conversion of G.C. Shaw by Reverend Moses Hopkins, also from the “Africo-American Presbyterian”; and a scrapbook of photocopied notices of G.C. Shaw’s death on 1 January 1936.
Repository: Southern Historical Collection
Collection Highlights: The collection also records of G.C. Shaw’s ministry at the Timothy Darling Presbyterian Church; as a member of the Board of Trustees of Johnson C. Smith University, Charlotte, North Carolina; as chairman of the Board of Trustees of Oxford Colored Orphanage; as treasurer of the Teachers’ Colored Association; and as a member of the Colored Masonic lodge and other fraternal organizations. Microfilm only.