Mount Moriah Church records, 1823-1940.
Creator: Mount Moriah (Orange Co., N.C.) Church (Baptist).
Collection number: 4669
View finding aid.
Abstract: The Mount Moriah Church (Baptist) was organized in Orange County, N.C., on 4 March 1823, breaking off from the Eno Church and joining the Flat River Association. The first deacons were ordained October 1823, and the Church met in monthly conference for worship under the deacons’ guidance until the first pastor, T. D. Armstrong, was called in 1832. The Church had 195 members as of July 1840, of which about 50 were African Americans. In 1856, an African-American deacon was ordained. The Church was still functioning in the 1990s. Records of the Mount Moriah Church, 1823-1940, in four microfilmed volumes as listed below. Volumes 1-3 contain a copy of the Church’s constitution, a list of “Rules of Decorum” by which the Church was governed, and lists of members of the congregation. In volume 1, there is also a short narrative of the founding of the Church. There are three items tipped into volume 3: Nancy J. Sparrow’s 1887 certification of church membership; a blank church membership certificate; and a letter, dated 20 February 1924, from the Carrboro Baptist Church about fundraising.In volume 4, ca. 50 pp., the constitution and rules of decorum are replaced by a printed church covenant, declaration of faith, and rules of order. Volumes contain short entries documenting actions a monthly meetings as follows: Volume 1, ca. 275 pp., August 1823-June 1886 with some gaps, notably 1863-1864; volume 2, ca. 200 pp., July 1886-September 1913; volume 3, ca. 50 pp., November 1913-September 1924; volume 4, ca. 50 pp., October 1924-March 1940.
Repository: Southern Historical Collection
Collection Highlights: Mt. Moriah church had an integrated church as early as July 1840. These records document the founding of the church, and also includes a list of the members of the congregation. Microfilm only.