Event DateEvent Name
02-11-1992Construction workers found a letter in the wall of Old West while renovating the building. Left by a worker in 1923, the letter states his wages for the job, his age, and offers a reward to whomever finds the document.
06-25-1992The Monogram Club was renamed "Blyden and Roberta H. Jackson Hall." Blyden Jackson was the first African American full professor in 1969 and the first African American man to hold tenure. Roberta Jackson joined the School of Education faculty in 1970, becoming the first African-American woman to earn tenure in the Division of Academic Affairs.
08-25-1992The Center for the Study of the American South, with its mission "to encourage teaching about, research on, and service to the South at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," was established.
08-31-1992Sports Illustrated named Chapel Hill as the best college town in the nation, writing that "Chapel Hill represents a college town, in the best sense. It's the purest example we could find of a town that is defined by a university--and a good university."
09-12-1992The Cone-Kenfield Indoor Tennis Center was dedicated. Home of the men's and women's varsity tennis teams, the Center was named for Ceasar Cone II and John Kenfield. Cone was a tennis letterman in the 1920s and son of a co-founder of Cone Mills in Greensboro. Kenfield coached the men's tennis team from 1928 to 1955, amassing a 434-30-2 record in dual matches and 17 conference championships.
09-18-1992Film director and producer Spike Lee spoke at the Smith Center concerning the importance of a free-standing, on-campus Black Cultural Center (which was built and is now called the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History).