Read all about it in the latest installment of This Month in North Carolina:
On May 29, 1988, William Henry Belk opened his first store at the corner of Main and Morgan in Monroe, N.C. This shop evolved what would become the regional Belk department stores.
The postcard below shows Main Street, Monroe, from ca. 1930-1945. A Belk Bros. store is visible at the left.