Consecrated to the Common Good: 100 Years of Journalism Education at UNC- Chapel Hill
Sept. 9, 2009 – Jan. 31, 2010
North Carolina Collection Gallery, Wilson Special Collections Library
Free and open to the public
Information: (919) 962-1172 or email@example.com
- Oct. 15: Tom Bowers program on the Origins of Journalism Education at UNC
Beginning with the first journalism class offered at UNC in 1909, the University has steadily developed one of the best-regarded journalism programs in the country and has produced an impressive roster of alumni.
A new exhibit in the Wilson Special Collections Library tells this history through 125 photographs, newspapers, letters, books, artifacts and drawings.
Consecrated to the Common Good: 100 Years of Journalism Education at UNC-Chapel Hill will be on view in the North Carolina Collection Gallery from Sept. 9 through Jan. 31. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
Tom Bowers, professor emeritus at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (JOMC) and author of Making News: One Hundred Years of Journalism and Mass Communication at Carolina, helped curate the exhibit and will speak in a free public program in Wilson Library on Oct. 15. Bowers was associate dean and senior associate dean for twenty-four years and interim dean in 2005-2006.
The exhibit will launch the story with the 1909 course handbook announcing Edward Kidder Graham’s offering of “Journalism” in the English Department and another course catalog from 1924 indicating the establishment of the Journalism Department. Nearly all of the JOMC deans from the school’s founding in 1950 through the present will be featured in photographs. Also on view will be famous firsts, such as the diary of Karen Parker, the school’s first African American woman student, and pages from the first master’s paper (1955) and doctoral thesis (1967) written for JOMC.
Famous alumni will be represented through their writings, drawings and artifacts. On view will be “Shoe” cartoonist Jeff MacNelly’s 1992 drawing of former journalism home Howell Hall and a typewriter used by broadcaster Charles Kuralt.
The inaugural issue of the Daily Tar Heel, dated 1893 and called then simply The Tar Heel, demonstrates a strong interest in journalism at UNC even before the introduction of journalism courses. Letters, articles and editorials document the sometimes contentious relationship that held between the paper and the school through the early part of the century.
- North Carolina Collection Gallery
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Making News (book by Tom Bowers from UNC Press)