Update, July 14: The Planning Library has now moved. Please visit Davis Library for planning materials or to consult Planning Librarian Jen Doty.
The collections and staff of the F. Stuart Chapin, Jr. Planning Library will relocate to Davis Library July 12, 2010. To prepare for this move, the Chapin Planning Library will be closed to the public beginning May 8, 2010.
Between May 8 and July 12, Planning Library materials may be paged for use through the “Request” feature of the online catalog or by placing a request at the service desk of any other campus library. Most materials will be unavailable for three to five days beginning July 12.
As part of the relocation:
- Unique books and journals from the Chapin Planning Library will be transferred to Davis Library, as will high-use duplicate items;
- Other duplicate materials will be offered to campus libraries with related collections;
- Any remaining books or journals will become part of the Chapin Reading Room, which the Department of City and Regional Planning has decided to retain in the former library space;
- Special collections covering Soul City, Chapel Hill, and Carrboro will become part of the North Carolina Collection in the Wilson Special Collections Library;
- Staff members Jen Doty (Planning Librarian) and Susan Martin (Planning Library Assistant) will join the Research and Instructional Services Department in Davis Library.
The Library made the decision to relocate Planning Library materials and services to Davis Library following extensive and thoughtful deliberation with the faculty and students of the Department of City and Regional Planning. The move will bring together related library collections that are often used jointly for research. It will also permit more intensive development of high-demand services, such as GIS and data support, and will ensure the most effective and efficient use of resources.
If you have questions about this relocation or about materials and services related to City and Regional Planning, please contact Planning Librarian Jen Doty: firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 962-4770. Jen will be available via email throughout the relocation process.