The Kenan Chemistry Library will open in its new space on the first floor of Venable Hall on Monday, Aug. 30.
The library will hold approximately 4,000 books and reference sources and will feature:
- Seventy-seven seats for study and research;
- Five group study rooms, with a total capacity of twenty people;
- A 40” display screen for molecule visualization in one of the study rooms;
- A collaboratory with seven computers equipped with scientific software;
- An “intelligent classroom” for library and departmental instruction;
A librarian and assistant will staff the Chemistry Library, along with student workers.
The Chemistry Library will also become the home for development of e-science collections and services at UNC. E-science refers to computationally intensive investigations using extremely large data sets.
Beginning Aug. 30, contact the Kenan Chemistry Library at 962-1188 or CB #3920. Chemistry Library Hours will be linked from the Libraries and Collections page. For assistance with chemistry-related questions before Aug. 30, please continue to work with the Biology/Chemistry Library in Wilson Library, accessible from South Road.
A celebratory open house is being planned for Oct. 12, University Day.