The Carolina Library Community is participating in the campus-wide UNC Class of 2011 Build a Block project. Build a Block is a student-led initiative to build ten Habitat for Humanity houses for families of UNC staff over the 2010-2011 academic school year.
As Build a Block champions, the University Libraries and the School of Information and Library Science will raise $35,000 and provide 2,000 hours of labor during the 2010-11 academic year.
To support the Library Community Build a Block Effort, you can:
Make a Donation
Credit Card: Go to the Build a Block Web page and select the “Donate” link to make a secure donation. To ensure that the Library Community receives credit for your donation, select Carolina Library Community under “My gift supports a Habitat Champion!”
Check: Make payable to “Habitat for Humanity of Orange County” (NOT to UNC, the Library, or to SILS), and add a memo that the funds are for the Carolina Library Community. Send checks or drop them off at either the SILS Administrative Office at Manning Hall or the Library Administration Office in Davis Library.
Volunteer Building Hours
Volunteers may sign up individually, with a Carolina Library Community group, or both. Visit the Build a Block Web site and select the “Volunteer” link. Then set up a user account and see what builds are available at the Phoenix Place site. The Carolina Library Community join code is 69.
Full-time UNC employees who sign up for Friday afternoon building may use their “Community Service Leave” offered by the University. (Check with your Human Resources facilitator for details and your supervisor for approval.)
Most builds are fully staffed for Fall, 2010. Spring build dates, including dates designated exclusively for the Library Community, will be announced in early 2011.
To Learn More
For more information about the Carolina Library Community project, contact one of the following individuals:
- Tyler Dzuba, president, Information and Library Science Student Association (ILSSA), SILS, email@example.com
- Ashlee Edwards, president, Information Science Student Undergraduates Empowered (ISSUE), SILS, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Peggy Myers, University Library, email@example.com, 919-843-5651
- Lara Bailey, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Susan Sylvester, email@example.com, SILS, 919-962-8266
- Carolina Library Community Building Project for Habitat Kicks Off
- UNC Build a Block project
- Habitat for Humanity of Orange County