Bill Friday: In His Own Words
Wilson Special Collections Library
Melba Remig Saltarelli Exhibit Room
Oct. 11–Dec. 31, 2013
Free and open to the public
The life and words of former University of North Carolina President William C. Friday (1920-2012) will be the subject of a multi-location UNC Library exhibit.
Bill Friday: In His Own Words will be on display in the Melba Remig Saltarelli Exhibit Room in the Wilson Special Collections Library through Dec. 31, 2013. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
An online exhibit at http://billfriday.web.unc.edu/ delves further into Friday’s legacy and features audio clips of Friday speaking on topics that range from his family, to the University system, to college athletics. Finally, posters placed around the UNC campus depict different aspects of Friday’s lifetime of service to the University.
The constellation of exhibits pays tribute to Friday, who died Oct. 12, 2012, at the age of 92. During his thirty-year tenure as UNC president, Friday oversaw expansion of the system from three to 16 campuses and earned a national reputation for his unwavering support of academic freedom, fairness, and integrity. For four decades, he was a familiar television presence as host of the UNC-TV interview show North Carolina People with William Friday.
Among the items that visitors to Wilson Library can see are:
- Correspondence with Vice President George H. W. Bush relating to Friday’s service on the Commission on National Challenges in Higher Education;
- Video clips from North Carolina People; and
- A family scrapbook with childhood photographs of Friday.
The Southern Historical Collection in Wilson Library is the sponsor of the exhibit, which also features material from the North Carolina Collection and University Archives & Records Management Services.
- Bill Friday: In His Own Words online exhibit
- UNC Virtual Museum exhibit The Legacy of William C. Friday
- UNC Library collections
- William C. Friday Papers at the Southern Historical Collection
- Friday’s papers from the Office of President of the University of North Carolina (System): William C. Friday Records, from University Archives & Records Management Services
- William C. Friday Photographic Collection from the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives (NCCPA)