David Lowry Swain, university president from 1835 to 1868 (and North Carolina governor from 1832 to 1835) was born on this day back in 1801 in Buncombe County near Asheville. Swain worked to grow the university from 89 students to more than 450. He oversaw the construction of Smith Hall (now Playmakers Theater), New East, and New West, and was able to keep the university open during the Civil War, when funding and students became scarce, graduating only three students in 1866. He died August 27, 1868.
For the Record is managed by the UNC University Archives, located in Wilson Special Collections Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- The Names of the Enslaved People who Built the University of North Carolina
- A New Addition of Athletics Photographs from the 1960s and 1970s
- Order of the Golden Fleece: Frank Porter Graham Lecture on Excellence Speakers
- April 1968: Carolina Reacts to the Assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Carolina Gay Association Southeastern Conference, 1976
- Please note that representatives of North Carolina state government communicate via this website. Consequently any communication via this site (whether by a state employee or the general public) may be subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties. This site uses Google Analytics to track site use.