Author Archives: Jennifer Coggins, Records Services Archivist

“Phi Mu on View” celebrates 50 years of Phi Mu at Carolina

This weekend, many alumni and their families will return to campus for Homecoming, but for the sisters of Phi Mu’s Gamma Lambda chapter it will be an especially exciting occasion. The chapter is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a weekend … Continue reading

Posted in Exhibits, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives | Leave a comment

GOOOOOOAL! Soccer’s illustrious history at UNC

  All eyes are on soccer this summer as countries from around the globe compete in the World Cup, so we thought it would be a good time to take a look at the history of soccer at UNC. In the … Continue reading

Posted in University Archives, University History | Leave a comment

UNC Parachute Club records make a landing at University Archives

Last week, University Archives was excited to receive the records of the UNC Sport Parachute Club, a student organization founded in 1969. The team represented the University in inter-collegiate competitions including the 1971-1972 National Collegiate Parachuting Championships (flyer above). Notice the spot below the … Continue reading

Posted in New and Noteworthy, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives | Tagged , | Leave a comment

A Fond Farewell to Electronic Records Archivist Meg Tuomala

This week we say goodbye to our dear friend and colleague Meg Tuomala, who departs University Archives for a new opportunity. Tuomala, a UNC alum, has served Wilson Library in several capacities–first as a graduate assistant in Special Collections Technical … Continue reading

Posted in Born-Digital and Electronic Records, University Archives | Tagged | 2 Comments

Delivering the Bicentennial: Postal Commemorations of UNC’s 200th

From fall 1993 to spring 1994, the University celebrated its bicentennial with a year of special events. One way the University commemorated its 200th anniversary was through the Bicentennial Postal Series. The first item in the series was a post … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

“I don’t know what he means unless it was the bell ringing or the fireball.”

If you’re looking for someone to help you plan an April Fool’s Day prank, look no further than John B. Stronach, class of 1893. President of the Eating Club (“Record, 31 bananas in 13 ¾ minutes,” according to the 1890 Hellenian), and member of … Continue reading

Posted in Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Happy 120th birthday, Paul Green!

It’s St. Patrick’s Day, so lots of people are wearing green. But at UNC, we’re celebrating another kind of Green—playwright Paul Green, who was born 120 years ago today. Paul Green, born in Lillington, North Carolina, enrolled at UNC in … Continue reading

Posted in University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

February 11, 1926: The Playmakers Meet the President

  In February 1926, the Carolina Playmakers embarked on their second Southern Tour, performing across North Carolina and Virginia, in Baltimore, and Washington DC. Led by founder, professor Frederick Koch, the theater company performed three of their signature “folk plays”—plays … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Read! Mark! Digest! The Order of the Golden Fleece turns 110!

This year the Order of the Golden Fleece celebrates its 110th anniversary, and University Archives is recognizing this milestone with an exhibit tracing the history and influence of the society on campus. The Order, UNC’s oldest honor society, was founded … Continue reading

Posted in Exhibits, Student Life and Student Organizations, Uncategorized, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Happy Holidays from UARMS!

We hope you all have a festive, fun, and restful holiday break! Wilson Library will be closed December 24-26.

Posted in From the Archives | Tagged , , | Leave a comment