Category Archives: From the Archives

“Feign an Intelligent Understanding”: The Research Club

In 1914, professors Joseph Hyde Pratt and George Howe founded the Research Club.¬† This club met once a year during the last week of October and gave its members, all of whom were professors, the opportunity to present humorous or … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Leave a comment

January 1925: UNC Faces the Poole Resolution

On January 8, 1925, David Scott Poole from Hoke County introduced a resolution in the North Carolina State Legislature stating: “That it is the sense of the General Assembly of North Carolina¬† that it is injurious to the welfare of … Continue reading

Posted in Exhibits, From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

“Throwing the Sand from the Spit-box”: More Student Misconduct, 1841-1847

Last month, we shared a selection of student infractions from the misconduct ledger for the 1840 academic year, found in the Office of the Registrar Records (#40131). Today we’re breaking out the ledger for 1841-1847 for a fresh batch of … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

On Thanksgiving Day in 1927, UNC was thankful for a new stadium

The final football game of UNC’s 1925 season was against the University of Virginia, as was tradition. It was played at UNC, on a field that could hold around 2,5o0 spectators. However, 16,000 spectators came to the game. The lack … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Black Student Movement Demands, 1968

At the Town Hall meeting about race and inclusion held at Memorial Hall last night, students from The Real Silent Sam and other activists presented a series of demands to university administrators. The demands referenced a similar document from the … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

“Large Scale Dishonesty”: The 1936 Cheating Ring

In January of 1936, a first-year student exposed a cheating ring among the UNC Chapel Hill student body. Under the rules of student governance and the honor system, the Student Council took responsibility for investigating the organized cheating with the … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives, University History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Student Protests in Support of the Black Cultural Center, 1992

In the wake of the recent protests and demonstrations at the University of Missouri, many people in the UNC community are looking back on our own past at occasions where students and activists fought for change in Chapel Hill. Two … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

“Exceedingly Improper” Student Behavior, 1840

For a number of years, student absences and instances of misconduct were recorded in ledgers by University administrators. Several of these ledgers, dating from 1838 to 1847, have survived in the Records of the Office of the Registrar (#40131) and … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, Student Life and Student Organizations, University Archives, University History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Student Section of the Communist Party (That Never Officially Existed)

In 1950,¬† Secretary of the Army and Director of the Psychological Strategy Board Gordon Gray became president of the UNC system. Leading the university at the height of the McCarthy era, Gray received many letters from concerned citizens and parents … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, University Archives, University History | Tagged , | Leave a comment

The Creation of the Department of Communication Studies

University Archives recently acquired records from the Department of Communication, located in Bingham Hall. The records highlighted one of the many departmental reorganizations that have shaped the university: the 1993 merger of the Department of Radio, Television, and Motion Pictures … Continue reading

Posted in From the Archives, New and Noteworthy, University Archives, University History | Tagged , , | Leave a comment