AboutHistory on the Hill is a hub of resources for learning about the history of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
This Day In History
- 1930 The Carnegie Library building was rededicated and renamed Hill Hall. Originally constructed as the University's library and named for noted philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (who donated $50,000, conditional upon the provision that a similar amount for the library's upkeep and future expansion be available), the building was renamed in honor of John Sprunt Hill, who provided much of the funding for the renovation. The Department of Music moved into the rededicated building and still inhabits it today.
- 1953 University alumnus Andy Griffith's record, which included "What it was, was football," appeared on this day. It was a huge hit, selling lots of copies and heavily requested on local radio.
UNC History Online
Digital North Carolina, the blog of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.
For the Record, the blog of the University Archives and Records Management Services.
News and Events, the news blog of UNC Library.
North Carolina Miscellany, the blog of the North Carolina Collection.
Southern Sources, the blog of the Southern Historical Collection.
A View to Hugh, a blog of the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives.
Monthly Archives: May 2012
31 May 1862: “That fifteen lashes be inflicted upon any colored man or woman, who, for the sake of convenience, and unaccompanied by any white person, may walk on forbidden ground…”
Item description: At the 31 May 1862 meeting of the Philanthropic Society, a committee recommended passage of the following law: “That fifteen lashes be inflicted upon any colored man or woman, who, for the sake of convenience, and unaccompanied by … Continue reading → Continue reading