AboutHistory on the Hill is a hub of resources for learning about the history of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
This Day In History
- 1930 The Carnegie Library building was rededicated and renamed Hill Hall. Originally constructed as the University's library and named for noted philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (who donated $50,000, conditional upon the provision that a similar amount for the library's upkeep and future expansion be available), the building was renamed in honor of John Sprunt Hill, who provided much of the funding for the renovation. The Department of Music moved into the rededicated building and still inhabits it today.
- 1953 University alumnus Andy Griffith's record, which included "What it was, was football," appeared on this day. It was a huge hit, selling lots of copies and heavily requested on local radio.
UNC History Online
Digital North Carolina, the blog of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.
For the Record, the blog of the University Archives and Records Management Services.
News and Events, the news blog of UNC Library.
North Carolina Miscellany, the blog of the North Carolina Collection.
Southern Sources, the blog of the Southern Historical Collection.
A View to Hugh, a blog of the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives.
Monthly Archives: March 2015
In 1929, Henry Owl, a member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, became the first American Indian to graduate from the University of North Carolina. Owl received a master’s degree in history with a thesis called “The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians Before and After the Removal.” A year later, officials in Western North […] Continue reading
On March 18th, 2012 Bill Richards, a colleague who worked in the library’s Digital Production Center passed away unexpectedly while watching the Tar Heel’s basketball team defeat Creighton University in the “Sweet Sixteen” round of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. … Continue reading → Continue reading
Even relative newcomers to UNC remark about the seemingly endless construction on campus. The orientation of the University seems forever attuned to building and changing, moving toward the future. Fortunately, there are people on campus paying careful attention to UNC’s past — foremost among them the Research Laboratories of Archaeology. The RLA is responsible for […] Continue reading
Coming March 19: A look at Carolina’s past through archaeological exploration. Continue reading Continue reading