AboutHistory on the Hill is a hub of resources for learning about the history of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
This Day In History
- 1930 The Carnegie Library building was rededicated and renamed Hill Hall. Originally constructed as the University's library and named for noted philanthropist Andrew Carnegie (who donated $50,000, conditional upon the provision that a similar amount for the library's upkeep and future expansion be available), the building was renamed in honor of John Sprunt Hill, who provided much of the funding for the renovation. The Department of Music moved into the rededicated building and still inhabits it today.
- 1953 University alumnus Andy Griffith's record, which included "What it was, was football," appeared on this day. It was a huge hit, selling lots of copies and heavily requested on local radio.
UNC History Online
Digital North Carolina, the blog of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.
For the Record, the blog of the University Archives and Records Management Services.
News and Events, the news blog of UNC Library.
North Carolina Miscellany, the blog of the North Carolina Collection.
Southern Sources, the blog of the Southern Historical Collection.
A View to Hugh, a blog of the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives.
Category Archives: new
We are excited to announce that a new accession of photographs to the Department of Athletics Collection is available for research. This accession is particularly special since it contains images of less-documented sports — including women’s sports and intramural sports — … Continue reading → Continue reading
The University Archives recently acquired the papers of Dr. Herbert L. Bodman, Jr., a UNC professor of Islamic studies who passed away in 2011. Dating from the early 1950s when Bodman was studying in Lebanon, the papers deal primarily with his … Continue reading → Continue reading