AboutHistory on the Hill is a hub of resources for learning about the history of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
This Day In History
- 1920 The University established the University of North Carolina Press. With Dr. Louis Round Wilson as director, the Press officially began operations in 1922 and published its first book, "The Saprolegniaceae, with Notes on Other Water Molds" by Dr. William Chambers Coker, in 1923.
- 1993 Governor James B. Hunt, Jr., attended the groundbreaking ceremony for the new School of Social Work building, which is now known as the Tate-Turner-Kuralt Building.
UNC History Online
Digital North Carolina, the blog of the North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.
For the Record, the blog of the University Archives and Records Management Services.
News and Events, the news blog of UNC Library.
North Carolina Miscellany, the blog of the North Carolina Collection.
Southern Sources, the blog of the Southern Historical Collection.
A View to Hugh, a blog of the North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives.
Category Archives: University Archives
Have you heard the story that the Bell Tower was intentionally placed right behind Wilson Library so that, when viewed from South Building, the top of the tower looks like a dunce cap on the round dome of the library? … Continue reading → Continue reading
We are pleased to present this guest post from UNC-Chapel Hill student Autumn Linford. Aros Coke Cecil’s photographs could be the work of any UNC undergrad of any era. Playing sports, the Old Well, friends goofing around, socializing with pretty … Continue reading → Continue reading
There are many forms of protest and one of them is the uninhibited celebration of your culture and the artistic achievements of your peers. Last month at the Project STAND (Student Activism Now Documented) symposium in Atlanta, one of the … Continue reading → Continue reading
On May 28, 2015, the UNC Board of Trustees voted to remove the name of Ku Klux Klan leader and Confederate Army colonel William Saunders from a campus building and rename it “Carolina Hall.” Additionally, the Board voted to place … Continue reading → Continue reading
The farcical drama Three in the Attic was released on this day in 1968. The film is set at a fictional New England college, but was filmed primarily at and around UNC. The plot centers on one student, Paxton, who begins dating three … Continue reading → Continue reading
We have just opened a new collection for research: photographs from Danny Bell. Bell has been at the heart of American Indian life at UNC since the late 1980s. He was one of the founders of the American Indian Studies … Continue reading → Continue reading
In the mid 1990s, Nike and other apparel companies drew criticism for labor practices in overseas factories they owned or used. UNC students and faculty were at the heart of the debate in the spring of 1998 when an entire … Continue reading → Continue reading
Before there were Pit preachers, there was Mrs. Otelia Connor, an elderly Southern woman who patrolled the manners of Carolina students in the 1960s. Instead of a Bible, she carried an umbrella to thwack those who ran afoul of her … Continue reading → Continue reading
South Building, often called “Main Building” in early university records, was one of the first buildings constructed on campus. Work began around 1798. It is currently the central administration building on campus, housing the Office of the Chancellor, the Executive … Continue reading → Continue reading
The Full List of Names of the Enslaved Workers Who Built the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
As part of ongoing efforts to reckon with its past, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill recently joined several dozen universities and colleges in becoming a member of Universities Studying Slavery (USS). This “multi-institutional collaboration” aims to facilitate … Continue reading → Continue reading