Amazing trick photography!

Trick photo, croppedThis is one of the more amusing shots I’ve come across so far in the Morton collection (I cropped the version at left for maximum effect). The picture was taken sometime during Hugh’s days at Camp Yonahnoka, where he took his first photography course in 1934 and served the following five summers as the camp’s photography instructor. It’s a good example of Morton’s appreciation for visual humor, something I’ve noticed throughout the collection.
See below for the uncropped version, which shows how this mind-blowing “feat” of perspective was achieved. (Zing!) Just goes to show that some things—including puns—will never stop being funny.
Trick photo, full view

16 thoughts on “Amazing trick photography!”

1. I know precisely where this photo was taken: on the little hill up from the Bark Room. The little building on the right is the crafts room where you could make lanyards, leather belts, etx. If not for the clouds you’d be able to see Grandfather Mountain on the horizon.

2. call me a spoilsport but photography was never an art it’s an overrated passion which can’t survive harmless competition from S/W like photoshop.
    Art is when you create something from your imagination and the very fact that if you have taken photograph means it exists (if no tricks applied)

3. I recently found another example of a Hugh Morton special effects picture. It’s on the cover of “The State Magazine” for November 9, 1946. Hugh has merged a picture of Duke’s Head Football Coach Wallace Wade with UNC’s Head Football Coach Carl Snavely. The image appeared two weeks before the Carolina – Duke football game.

4. Another good example of Hugh Morton’s trick photography can be found on the front cover of “The State Magazine” for January 10, 1948. The image shows Rep. Bob Doughton of Laurel Springs with the US Capitol over his shoulder.

5. i think these are my favorite photos. it think photography is an art of its own. to each their own i say, and when it comes to photography I’m definitely on board

6. I love this photo it is unique. People are so busy creating in post editing which does have it’s advantages. But then look at the fun they would have had creating this photo, impossible to replace that!

7. Both versions of the picture are interesting. A photographer needs to have a special aptitude for capturing a great moment; in addition, photographers need special skills when processing their photos in a studio. The choices they make affect the quality of a picture tremendously. Therefore, photography is an art.

8. The lady on the extreme right is Elliwood Keith of Charlottesville.
    For some years she ran the riding program.
    Mrs. Keith was a renowned horsewoman, and she operated a highly successful show stable.
    I rode at Camp Y for two years, and also rode some of her horses at shows here and there..
    Nick Dunning

9. I attended Camp Y in 1970 and 71 and, until finding this page, had no recollection of a photography class…Professionally I’ve been a photographer the bulk of my adult life and will always recall my first nature inspired spiritual experience while canoeing into a channel walled by blooming rhododendrons on the lake. Still chasing that feeling with my work today.

10. It is so nice to see this page! I was a counselor for the last two seasons of Camp Yonahnoka. My having made Eagle Scout in Sandy Springs, GA landed me a job at this wonderful place where so many memories were made for so many young men. I taught campcraft, nature studies and, yes, photography. To answer two questions posed in the article text… the last camp year was the Summer of 1975. It was a sorrowful time for so many men, and young men, whose families were deeply intertwined with the Yonahnoka family, and Episcopal High School in Alexandria, VA. Mine tenure was short, two summers. But we had some members whose father’s and grandfather’s were campers and counselors. The other question posed about who are the ladies? Well, I think it very likely that the equestrian outfitted lady on the right is Mrs. C.V. Tompkins. Although she was very frail in 1975, I know she had taught riding in earlier years. And the resemblance is strong. In closing, I will recall for others the infamous motivational line of C.V.; and that is that “enthusiasm is contagious”. Indeed it is and I treasure my memories as the youngest counselor for the final two years of the marvelous times on the southshore of Lake Watauga. one more C.V.-ism? ” Get the right atti-ti- tude”! C.V. was the consummate teacher and his pronunciation of “attitude” was intended to stick. Blessings to all my Yonahnoka Brother’s around the world,
    Dale Latty, Counselor 1974-75
    Clarkesville, GA
    706.968.3600

11. Just this weekend I have been going through a box of papers of my father who passed. It seems he went to Camp Y June/July, 1939. The paper I have is a final summary of his stay, touching all points of activities, behavior and general comments signed by Mrs Tompkins. Dad was 8 years old when he went, and looks like he had a wonderful time from their observations. I don’t remember dad sharing about this camp, but do know that the family was quite fond of the Linville/Grandfather Mtn area. Sure did warm my heart finding this and info about it. 🙂