Today’s post is part two of a four-day, four-post series covering a trip Hugh Morton made to the Washington D.C. area between Wednesday, March 4 and Sunday, March 8, 1987. Part one of this series covered March 5th, when Morton photographed United States Senator Jesse Helms. Today’s post covers the March 6th, the first day of the 1987 Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament.
Friday, March 6: “ACC Landover”
As is the case today in 2018, March 6th was the first day of the 1987 ACC Tournament, played in Andover, Maryland at Capital Centre. Morton photographed the following game between Virginia and Georgia Tech . . .
and UNC’s matchup with the local favorite, Maryland.
Most of Morton’s work from this opening quarterfinal round has not been digitized. The negatives and slides in the collection for the various games of the tournament are a bit jumbled. Below is a list of black-and-white negatives and color slides for games played on March 6, excerpted from the Morton collection finding aid:
- Roll Film Box P081/35BW-17 (35mm black-and-white negatives)
- Envelope 6.1.1-5-302: Georgia Tech vs. University of Virginia (3 negatives)
- Envelope 6.1.1-5-303: UNC vs. Maryland (6 negatives)
- Envelope 6.1.1-5-304: includes UNC vs. Maryland (11 negatives). This envelope includes loose strips from all three days of the tournament.
- Slide Lot 009600 (35mm color slides)
- UNC vs. Maryland (3 slides)
- Virginia vs. Georgia Tech (2 slides)
- Clemson vs. Wake Forest (7 slides)
- Duke vs. North Carolina State (5 slides of game action, 4 slides of post-game press conference—3 of NC State coach Jim Valvano and 1 with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski).
Sorting out the above was very confusing! Since I took the time to figure out what was what, I decided to record it here for anyone’s future reference. There were some errors in the finding aid, too, so I submitted corrections for those.