Catch-Me-Eye Explosion, March 7, 1942

The Johnston County Heritage Center has a small collection of photographs documenting the Catch-Me-Eye Explosion, March 7, 1942.   The explosion happened early in the morning when a truck carrying munitions collided with an automobile near the Catch-Me-Eye, which was a popular tourist location and service station on Highway 301 between Selma and Smithfield.

According to the biographical sketch for the collection listed on the Heritage Center’s website, “Four people were killed, and many others were injured.  The entire Catch-Me-Eye complex and and the 2 1/2 story Hotel Talton across the road were levelled, and windows shattered over a mile away in Selma’s Edgerton Memorial Methodist Church.  Many local people were convinced the explosion was an air raid by the Germans.”

The postcard above is of the Hotel Talton, ca. 1938, which was located across the street from where the explosion occurred.

Here’s a link to the collection guide at the Johnston County Heritage Center.

One thought on “Catch-Me-Eye Explosion, March 7, 1942”

1. My mama Netia Rae Garner was 12 years old when this happened. She lived there with her brothers and sisters and her father Robert Garner and her mother Martha Garner. Her dad died right around that time too. I am looking for any family members that might still be there. They can contact me at 520-401-9360. My name is Iva. Also the Pittman’s there or part of my family too. I would like to get everybody altogether and maybe have something we used to have. It’s called a family reunion. I love my family so if any of them want to they can contact me and if I don’t answer they can leave a message