In addition to the traditional lighthouses along the North Carolina coast, here are two alternative examples used to keep ships and sailors safe during their night travels:
Above is a postcard from ca. 1905-1915 showing children playing on a creek lighthouse located in Southport, Brunswick County. This lighthouse was likely built in 1849.
Below is a postcard of the Diamond Lightship stationed off the coast of Morehead City, NC, where it would stay moored in place and make use of its large warning lights. This card dates to ca. 1948.