1. True or false: At the time of George Washington’s inauguration in 1789, North Carolina had yet to ratify the Constitution.
2. A panel of journalists and historians assembled by the Associated Press ranked what three events as the top stories of 20th century North Carolina?
3. In what sport does Whoopdedoo represent North Carolina’s greatest challenge?
4. What Hollywood actress traces her father’s side of the family to the Lumbee Indians?
5. Why does Wilmington remember Dec. 15, 1955, as “Black Thursday”?
1. True. (Nor had Rhode Island.)
2. The Wright Brothers’ flight in 1903, the Woolworth’s lunch counter sit-in in 1960 and Hurricane Floyd in 1999.
3. Skiing. It’s the steepest slope at Sugar Mountain.
4. Heather Locklear. (In Robeson County, Locklears outnumber Smiths more than two-to-one. More than 40 percent of Locklears in the United States live in North Carolina.)
5. That was the day the Atlantic Coast Line railroad announced it would move its headquarters to an undetermined but more central location. The new site turned out to be Jacksonville, Fla., and the move was made in 1960.