1. What writer caused a furor in Chapel Hill in 1931 with his poem about the Scottsboro Boys, nine black teenagers unjustly accused of rape in Alabama?
2. What are the four “-villes” among North Carolina’s 15 largest cities?
3. What N.C. airport has the longest commercial runway between Washington and Atlanta?
5. What British rock group took its name from two Carolinas blues musicians?
1. Langston Hughes, whose “Christ in Alabama” appeared on the cover of the local but world-renowned literary journal Contempo just as he arrived on campus. Hughes spoke at the Playmakers Theatre while police stood guard outside. He later said he had had “a swell time” on his visit.
2. Fayetteville, Greenville, Asheville and Jacksonville.
3. The little-used Global TransPark in Kinston.
4. Marlboro (the Marlboro Man). Winston (“Winston tastes good like a cigarette should”).