1. The symbol of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg displays back-to-back A’s — why?
2. In an alphabetical listing of the states, North Carolina precedes North Dakota. What state does it follow?
3. What famous golfer won his first professional tournament at Pinehurst in 1940? Which one won his last at Pinehurst in 1999?
4. True or false: More than 20 times as many North Carolinians died in the Civil War as in the Vietnam War.
5. A former U.S. senator from North Carolina and a writer known as the “poet laureate of Appalachia” share what name?
1. It tagged itself the “All American” unit — the first to draw members from all 48 states. Formed in 1917 at Camp Gordon, Ga., the 82nd has been based at Fort Bragg since 1946.
2. New York.
5. Robert Morgan. One served as state attorney general and as U.S. senator, the other is author of the best-selling “Gap Creek.”