1. “When I was growing up, Billy Graham was very popular…. I went to two or three of his rallies in the ’50s or ’60s. This guy was like rock ‘n’ roll personified — volatile, explosive. He had the hair, the tone, the elocution — when he spoke, he brought the storm down. Clouds parted. Souls got saved, sometimes 30- or 40,000 of them”….
Who said it?
2. In 1967 Spray, Leaksville and Draper merged to form what Rockingham County town?
3. In 1925 what sculptor proposed carving an enormous memorial to Confederate heroes Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson on the cliffs at Chimney Rock above Lake Lure?
5. In 1950 when the Atomic Energy Commission chose Nevada for atmospheric tests of nuclear weapons, what site was runner-up?
1. Bob Dylan.
3. Gutzon Borglum, who would later become famous for Mount Rushmore.
4. Rose Hill, not coincidentally the site of the annual North Carolina Poultry Jubilee.
5. The Outer Banks.