by Shawna Milam, student assistant
This May marks The Booklist Reader’s tenth annual Mystery Month, a month-long celebration of literary mysteries and the suspense found within that makes it impossible to put the book down. In celebration of Mystery Month, we here at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center Library decided to share some mystery books written by African American authors guaranteed to keep you guessing at every turn.
Click on the links below to find these volumes in the UNC Library Catalog, or come browse the shelves at the Stone Center Library. Don’t forget to come check out the Mystery Month display in person at the Stone Center Library to find even more books written by and about African American mystery authors. We hope you’ll be able to find a book that interests you and keeps you riveted as you try to solve the classic question of the mystery novel: “whodunit?”
- Bruce, John Edward, and John Cullen Gruesser. The Black Sleuth. Northeastern University Press, 2002. Available at the Stone Center Library, Call Number: PS3503.R876 B48 2002.
- Carter, Stephen L. New England White. Alfred A. Knopf, 2007. Available at the Stone Center Library, Davis Library, and the Law Library, Call Number: PS3603.A78 N48 2007 .
- Everett, Percival. Assumption: A Novel. Graywolf Press, 2011. Available at the Stone Center Library and Davis Library, Call Number: PS3555.V34 A878 2011.
- Fisher, Rudolph. The Conjure-Man Dies: A Mystery Tale of Dark Harlem. Ayer Co., Publishers, 1992. Available at Davis Library, Call Number: PS3511.I7436 C6 1992.
- Gaines, Ernest. A Gathering of Old Men. 1st Vintage Contemporaries ed., Vintage Books, 1992. Available at Davis Library, Call Number: PS3557.A355 G3 1992.
- Greer, Robert. The Fourth Perspective : A C.J. Floyd Mystery. Distributed by North Atlantic Books, 2006. Available at Davis Library, Call Number: PS3557.R3997 F68 2006.
- Himes, Chester B. Cotton Comes to Harlem. Vintage Books, 1988. Available at the Undergraduate Library, Call Number: PS3515.I713 C68 1988.
- Locke, Attica. Bluebird, Bluebird. Mulholland Books/Little, Brown and Company, 2017. Available at Davis Library and the Undergraduate Library, Call Number: PS3612.O247 B58 2017 (at Davis) or FICTION Loc (at the UL).
- Mosley, Walter. Fear Itself. 1st ed., Little, Brown, 2003. Available at the Stone Center Library and Davis Library, Call Number: PS3563.O88456 F38 2003.
- Neely, Barbara. Blanche Passes Go. Viking, 2000. Available at Davis Library, Call Number: PS3564.E244 B58 2000.
- Weber, Carl. The Man in 3B: A Novel. Grand Central Pub., 2013. Available at the Stone Center Library, Call Number: PS3573.E2164 M36 2013 .
- Whitehead, Colson. The Intuitionist. 1st Anchor Books ed., Anchor Books, 1999. Available at Davis Library, Call Number: PS3573.H4768 I58 1999.