During much of North Carolina’s colonial period, the capital of the colony depended on where the governor lived—and that was wherever he wanted to reside. In the 1750s, however, colonial governor Arthur Dobbs attempted to establish a permanent capital on land that he owned in Johnston County (now northeastern Lenoir County). In 1758 the legislature approved an act to purchase the 850-acre “Tower Hill” plantation from Dobbs for the new seat of government. (Conflict of interest? Maybe. Though Dobbs did offer to sell the land for the same amount he paid for it—plus interest.) The new capital was to be called “George City” in honor of King George II. North Carolina’s attempt at flattery was ignored, and the British government did not approve the legislation authorizing the town.