For the Record is managed by the UNC University Archives, located in Wilson Special Collections Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Please note that representatives of North Carolina state government communicate via this website. Consequently any communication via this site (whether by a state employee or the general public) may be subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties. This site uses Google Analytics to track site use.
Author Archives: Caroline Newhall
South Building, often called “Main Building” in early university records, was one of the first buildings constructed on campus. Work began around 1798. It is currently the central administration building on campus, housing the Office of the Chancellor, the Executive … Continue reading
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was founded in the midst of a slave society by slaveholders. Enslaved people were present on campus from the laying of the cornerstone of Old East in 1793 until the end of … Continue reading
Building Old East, 1793-1795 On October 12, 1793, construction began on Old East, UNC’s first building and the first public university building in the United States. Slave labor was likely used for the construction of Old East, and used extensively … Continue reading