North Carolina Historic Newspapers will digitize runs from the following newspaper titles in 2017/18, totaling approximately 100,000 pages. These will be added to the over 200,000 pages of historic North Carolina newspapers pages already available on the Library of Congress’s Chronicling America newspaper site.
- The Hillsborough Recorder, Hillsborough
- The Independent, Elizabeth City
- Henderson Daily Dispatch, Henderson
- Tabor City Tribune, Tabor City
- The Onslow County News and Views, Jacksonville
- Marion Progress, Marion
- Old Fort News, Old Fort
- The Times-News, Hendersonville
- Carolina Watchman, Salisbury
- The Wilmington Morning Star, Wilmington
- Roanoke Rapids Herald, Roanoke Rapids
In 2016, the National Digital Newspaper Program expanded its scope from newspapers published from 1836 – 1922 to include titles published from 1690 – 1963. This expansion has allowed North Carolina Historic Newspapers to select titles covering pivotal events in North Carolina such as early westward migration, the Great Depression, the New Deal, and World War II.